Signs declaring floodwater ahead were not pulled out before the level rose higher on Hannegan Road. (Calvin Bratt/Lynden Tribune)

Border station, roads still shut down Sunday morning

   WHATCOM ­— Flooding hit throughout the county Saturday, with Sumas taking the brunt of overflow of Nooksack River levees at Everson.
  The Sumas border crossing remained closed Sunday morning, as was  also the State Route 9 approach into Sumas, the Washington State Department of Transportation reported. As of Saturday evening,  State Route 543/East Badger Road was closed between Van Buren and Nooksack roads for water over the roadway.
  The torrent toward Sumas was due to a high enough level of Nooksack flooding at Everson that water entered the drainage of the Sumas River flowing north toward toward Canada’s Fraser River.
  Mountain snowmelt swelled the Nooksack River to its highest level in years while days of rainfall also filled lowland streams and saturated the soil.
  First Everson and then Lynden felt the effects throughout Saturday. The churning river south of Everson either overflowed or breached its banks. Main Street/State Route 543 between Everson and Nooksack was shut down about midday, and there was a reported rescue of someone who tried to cross the surge.
  Crews with Everson police, Fire District 1 and Whatcom County Emergency Response monitored flood points and responded to any urgent needs of  residents in flooded areas.
  Many roads in the Everson area were closed, include Van Buren, Tom and the east end of Hampton.
  Both Hannegan and Hampton roads were closed at their low spots below Lynden. North of Lynden, East Badger Road/State Route 546 was kept open even though a stream of water crossed the roadway where Fishtrap Creek hits that drainage barrier. Vehicles sent up sprays in their wake.
  On Sunday morning, floodwater was receding at Lynden. It appeared that no buildings had been touched.
  The Pine streets neighborhood in northwest Lynden had its standard poor drainage and for a while overnight from Friday Main Street was closed. 
  The swelling almost to capacity of Double Ditch and Benson streams occurred earlier than that of Fishtrap or the Nooksack, and was starting to subside slightly on Saturday.