This story has been updated to reflect Gallegos' bond has been set as a $1,500 appearance bond
WHATCOM — Former Lynden girls wrestling coach Santos Rodriguez Gallegos was arrested on suspicion of third-degree rape on Thursday, Jan. 7.
Gallegos, 47, was booked into Whatcom County Jail by the Sheriff’s Office at 7:53 p.m., according to jail booking records. Bail has been set as a $1,500 appearance bond.
He had been the head coach of the girls wrestling program at Lynden High School since its inception in the 2011-12 season and had served as a volunteer with the boys program prior.
Lynden School District Superintendent Jim Frey said Gallegos is no longer employed with the school district.
“At this time I am able to say that he has resigned [from] his position with the Lynden School District and is now a former employee,” Frey said in an email. “We are cooperating with the Sheriff’s Office in their investigation.”
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Flood of calls to healthcare providers — please do not phone in!
- PeaceHealth: Do not phone in about getting a vaccine
- KWPZ’s Jim Bouma passes unexpectedly
- WIAA sets start dates for spring and winter sports
- A Syre family art exhibition
- Second round of PPP begins
- Whatcom Reads theme programs kicking off
- Two candidates for Conservation District board positions named