Leona (Mellema) Eshuis of Lynden is celebrating her 100th birthday! A no-gift open house planned by Leona's family will take place from 1 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8, in the basement of Second Christian Reformed Church, 710 Front St., Lynden. Leona was born on Dec. 7, 1918, in Primgar, Iowa, to Sam and Minnie Mellema. She was married to Herman Eshuis for 53 years until his passing in 1994. She enjoys reading, crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles, and for many years she volunteered at Project Hope. Her children are Lois (Tony, deceased) Velthuizen of Lynden; Gary and Linda Eshuis of Ferndale; Jim Eshuis, deceased; Diane (Jim, deceased) Matney of Ferndale: Judy (deceased) and Ed Spence of Blaine; Al and Darlene Eshuis of Lynden; John and Linda Eshuis of Lynden; Kathy Eshuis, deceased; Richard Eshuis, deceased; and Dean Eshuis of Lynden. She has 18 grandchildren, 36 great-grandchildren and 14 great-great-grandchildren.
- Vintage trailers to be open for viewing Sept. 7
- From the Archives - Week of July 17, 2019
- Bible given to Sumas museum links to a Mississippi governor
- Lynden Watch provides extra eyes for community
- More teams than ever for basketball
- Meet the winners — and try their recipes
- Forum of City Council candidates next Wednesday