On COVID-19 risk

  I think I first learned about the coronavirus from an article in your newspaper. Whoever wrote it was very careful to explain that we shouldn’t worry very much because the risk from the virus is quite minimal. Nearly 100% of people who catch the “bug” recover nicely from it. Those most at risk are elderly folks and people with existing health conditions.

  Our political leaders, however, see it differently and believe this well may be the worst crisis in history, which requires drastic measures on their part. 

  In an effort to deal with the problem, they somehow got the authority to close down all restaurants in the state, as well as most small business — and churches!

  Needless to say, I am flabbergasted! I am almost 90 years of age and have never seen anything this crazy.

  Finally, after weeks of being shut down, those politicians are saying perhaps it is time to allow some of those businesses to begin reopening — in carefully controlled “stages.” They talk of developing some sort of “task force” to oversee the process. 

  In my opinion, I believe they have their priorities mixed up.

  The first thing that should be done, in my opinion, is to develop a task force of volunteers with pickup trucks to gather up and dispose of all the dead bodies that must certainly be clogging our streets and ditches, as a result of this horrendous “crisis”!

  It is so sad. This call could have been avoided. Instead of closing up restaurants, small businesses and churches, they should have started by closing down the offices of all politicians. If that had been done, we wouldn’t have had this problem at all.

  This whole fiasco makes me wonder, what sort of motives do our political leaders have?

  I believe there are four possibilities: 1. They wish to destroy the U.S. economy. 2. They want to destroy this country. 3. They want to demonstrate to the world how much control they have over all of us, and the United States of America is no longer a free country. And 4. Possibly they are nuts!

— Bill (Swin the painter) Swinburnson, Lynden

Criticizing the Tribune

  I was disappointed that the Lynden Tribune put on their front page an article that read like an advertisement for the inflammatory and dangerous “Liberate Lynden” parade.

  Most Americans are more worried we will end social distancing too soon rather than too late, and this kind of fanning of the loudest (but wrong) voices is not what I expected from our community paper.

  We need to remember there are people with lots of different viewpoints in Lynden. Many are extra vulnerable to the virus because of age and compromised immune systems, etc. Thinking of these individuals when we are out in public is important.

  If you could save a life by wearing a mask in public (and experts say you can), why wouldn’t you wear it? Why not save the life of a fellow human being if there is a chance in a million? While everyone wants to get back to work, pretending the virus isn’t real won’t help this cause. Please, let’s all take this seriously, stay safe, and be more responsible.

— Linda Schonborn, Ferndale

Wear a mask

  Dear Lynden friends and neighbors, How to say this gently? If you want to put the Great Commandment into action, please wear a mask in public.

  There are a couple of ways to kill people: 1. Get a pistol and play Russian roulette on others. 2, Don’t wear a face mask in public. Medical experts say face coverings largely prevent infecting others. Masks block the velocity of the virus droplets in a cough, or from speaking or breathing. Instead of going 6 to 12 feet, the virus goes maybe an inch. And falls.

  The average infected, and infecting, person shows no symptoms for five days. Some never do show symptoms, and yet they are infecting others. Somebody’s mother, father, grandmother, grandfather will die because you did not wear a mask. As of now, 80,000 Americans have been killed, unintentionally, largely by other Americans.

  Maybe you feel awkward wearing a mask. Maybe you think your face is too gorgeous to cover any of it. Maybe you think you know better than experienced medical experts. Or maybe you love your neighbor as yourself and wear your mask in public. For those of you who do, thank you for your consideration in protecting me and my loved ones.

  Please help kill COVID, but not the rest of us. Thank you!

— Roger Van Dyken, Lynden

Put others before yourself

  To those who demonstrate against Gov. Inslee and the stay-at-home orders: 

  I do not share your eagerness to march in small towns to foment insurrection.

  But you may be surprised to know that I shout “freedom “ as well as you do. I shout it when I vote, when I obey traffic laws, when I see the need to help people I have never met. And, yes, when I see a need to protect my neighbors from a disease I cannot see. The difference is that I shout “Freedom To” vote, to be safe in my community, to have health care for my family and my society, to have my children educated, to be assured my food is safe, etc. Your shouts of “freedom” seem to be for “freedom from.”

  Freedom from government, from laws, from taxes, from regulations that I view as protections, from the responsibility of being concerned for the people who live around you, from the very idea of caring for your own community.

  Freedom is not an excuse to put yourself before others. It’s not a shield to be used to deny your own responsibility to care for one another and protect our community members. 

  When we live as a community, we agree on rules that keep us safe. We do not murder, we do not steal, we keep our promises, we pay our debts and we try not to harm others. When conditions change and there are things we once did freely but that are now dangerous, asking people to pause and wait until the danger is cleared is not oppression. It is caring.

— Gary Meador, Everson

Reconsidering shopping in Lynden

  My wife and I make numerous trips to Lynden to eat and get a pea soup fix, and, of course, ice cream. We might do other shopping in addition. However, after your Freedom Parade, we will reconsider.

  If you don’t care about each other’s health, why would I expect you to care about mine? You cannot see the COVID germs, but this is a lot like the smoke-free environment fight 40 years ago when you could see the irritant. Does your right to pollute supercede another’s right to breathe clean air?

  I will continue to go and shop where they continue to follow the governor’s and national guidelines for health reasons. Or was the parade more about a political statement?

— William Severson, Stanwood

On misinformation

  How frightening to see so much misinformation combined with an abuse of and excuse of freedom manifest itself in the “liberate Lynden” parade on Saturday.

  With freedom comes responsibility, the responsibility to you and to me as a high-risk person. Yes, I can stay home, but your disregard could infect the grocery store person who packs my groceries or prepares my medications — and maybe yours as well.

  Perhaps, and fortunately, you have not been on the front lines of those caring for COVID patients or been with one as they were dying. 

  No one has the Constitutional or God-given right to endanger and possibly kill others. Neither the Constitution or Bible state such.

  We are the only First Nation in the world that did not have a federal plan or guidance in place to attack this situation. As one lady so blatantly said, “I will not drink the Kool-Aid.”

  The five doctors in my family will advise you there is no Kool-Aid but a serious medical issue that can kill and possibly leave long-term effects.

  There should be no politics here, just common sense, more humanity and less selfish behavior by all.

— Beth Tableman, Blaine

Comparing to World War II

  The coronavirus storm affects us all and reminds us of  the storm of World War II. I have now experienced both of them.

  They have in common losing millions of lives, losing a lot of freedoms and costing trillions of dollars. They both are so painful and make us feel so helpless. They are also worldwide.

  When Rotterdam, Holland, was bombed by Hitler’s Nazi air power, my family and I heard the thunder and the ashes came down on us. It was May 10, 1940. As a 4-year-old, I heard my Mom say loudly, “The sun is red, the end of the world is here!” My  Dad and Mom held me up through five years of horror which I can never forget.

  There have been “wake-up calls” across the years. At Pearl Harbor, in an attack by Japan, we lost over 1,500 men and women. Then we had 9/11 with the towers, New York City, extreme Muslims, and we lost over 3,000 souls. Now we have another big wake-up call. I believe it is a big epidemic and that it is a call from God for a huge return to him. If people, cultures and nations ignore Almighty God, trample down his name, disobey his commandments and reject him and not repent, how long is God going to take this? This is a great time for us all and the nations to turn to the Lord and Savior who is ready to make the best peace and life eternal.

  Let us thank God for our countries and the freedoms we still have. See how quickly we can lose them. Let us wake up and  hear the call. Pray and work for a huge revival. We will not perish, but we will come through the storm with God’s help.

— John Van Hemert, Lynden

Thanking the Lynden PD

  I am writing to express my deepest gratitude and appreciation for the officers of the Lynden Police Department. They truly are servants of the Lynden community.

  Last week Thursday, I was the victim of a multiple-item theft, one item of which was my cell phone. Apparently, the thief did not understand that the cell phone was trackable. My wife and I worked closely with Lynden’s finest for about 90 minutes, together tracking and chasing the stolen items around the county, as far as Barr Road east of Ferndale. This exercise continued until the thief eventually returned to the scene of the crime in Lynden to anonymously leave the stolen items with the manager of the retail establishment for us to retrieve. 

  Throughout the ordeal, the officers of the Lynden Police Department were patient, polite and in frequent communication with us until the items were recovered. Over my nine years as a Lynden resident, my every interaction with the Lynden Police Department has solidified my belief that they are true to their calling and worthy of every ounce of respect we can give them.

— Damon J. Gray, Lynden