Reasons for spike

  I was saddened to see your recent headline that COVID-19 cases have spiked in the Lynden area. I do have to wonder if a variety of recent activities — such as the “Liberate Lynden” parade, the large group petition signing at Fairway Center attended and encouraged by one of our local politicians, the refusal by the majority of citizens to wear masks and socially distance, the harassment in local parking lots of people wearing masks by young men who are emboldened and sure they are right, large group gatherings over Mother’s Day and Memorial Day —  if all of this hasn’t contributed to this spike.

  So much of this is driven by our need to restart our economy and our desire to return to the lives we once knew.

  I understand the concern for our economy. My husband and I, now retired, were small business owners for many years and this pandemic would have destroyed our livelihood. Current federal support for the small businessperson has been weak, with the majority of federal assistance going to the large businesses that need it least. Had this support been structured and disbursed differently, small business people would not be feeling the need to choose between their health and their livelihood, putting our citizenry in this life-and-death situation.

  Also, I understand the desire to return to the life I once knew. I miss my grandchildren, I want to get a haircut, and I am very tired of cooking every night. But I understand that in order to keep myself and my family safe, in order to keep my neighbors and community safe, in order to preserve the greater good, that this is an insignificant and unselfish sacrifice I must make.

  Regardless, COVID-19 cares nothing for the economics or the emotions of our plight. The science of the virus is only beginning to be understood and so until there is a cure and/or a vaccine we will continue to be at its mercy. Responsible Americans, those who truly care about the lives of our most vulnerable, will take it upon themselves to wear masks, social distance, wash hands and avoid large groups. I encourage the citizens of Lynden to remember that.

  Even though we cannot see this enemy, it is there and waiting. The recent COVID-19 spike in Lynden has made that apparent.

— Barbara Davis, Lynden

Masks do protect

  A letter in the June 17 Lynden Tribune, written by a nurse, suggested that wearing masks to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus would not work because the size of the virus itself is too small to be prevented from reaching a person’s face. What she neglected to say is that it is not the virus itself we need to protect against, but the water molecules, sputum and other body moisture that carry the virus.

  Those of us who know we have quarantined and are safe may feel confident to mix with our known friends and family members that we are assured are also safe. The problem comes when we are now allowed to mix with society in general, not knowing who is safe and who might not be. Wearing a mask will allow not only safety, but the confidence needed to open up businesses and recreation.

— Donna Starr, Blaine

Longtime thanks to the Tribune

  As a longtime Lynden Tribune subscriber and reader, I’d like to tell you what the paper has meant to me.

  I’ve been a Grange member for over 60 years. During those earlier years, it was the custom of the newspaper to photograph and identify the new officers of each Grange at the beginning of the year. It was through that medium that I gradually was able to know everyone locally connected to the order.

  During the time of various community reporters, I learned more of the names that came from each area. To this day, I identify certain family names with their communities. If you were to look back through the Wiser Lake and Laurel columns, you’d find reports of events pertaining to our family. 

  When these local news items were discontinued, they were missed by many including me. However, I still count on the Tribune to bring me local news of interest plus areas beyond.

  Thank you for being a great local paper. 

— Elsie Wood, Lynden

End the debate — mandate masks

  The fierce political debate over wearing masks must end. It is a matter of life and death. If you don’t like wearing a mask, you’re going to hate wearing a ventilator.

  If you contract a severe case of COVID-19, you may “recover” but end up with permanent pulmonary conditions, heart conditions, central nervous system damage or  an amputation because of blood clots associated with the illness. As a “survivor” you could be too disabled to ever work again. Permanently disabled survivors outnumber COVID-19 fatalities about three to one.

  It took over three months to see 1 million infections — as of June 22, the last 1 million cases have come in just eight days. Additionally, a larger percentage of COVID-positive cases are now among young people. 

  Governor Inslee has now mandated wearing facial coverings in all public spaces in Yakima County to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The mandate is a legal requirement, not a suggestion. Businesses will also be legally required not to sell or give services to customers who do not comply with the mask order. Yakima County’s hospital capacity is overwhelmed, requiring ICU patients to be transported to medical facilities in Seattle.

  You think it can’t happen in Whatcom County? Guess again. Leaders, and every one of us in the community, must unite to fight the virus. The pandemic is still accelerating and producing daily increases in infections in Whatcom County.

  Wearing a mask won’t halt the virus, but it is a simple, proven step we  can all take to mitigate the spread. Whatcom County leadership must issue a mask mandate, not a directive, as soon as possible.

— Micki Jackson, Bellingham