We are in this together

  Thank you for continuing to publish letters that help us learn the concerns of our neighbors, especially during this pandemic.

  How I wish that I could sit to visit with the gentleman who wrote last week about our President-Elect Joe Biden. The writer laments that he could not learn about candidate Biden except through Google, apparently referring to Biden’s careful adherence to the CDC’s guidelines on masking and distancing. I applaud Biden’s discipline and self-sacrifice to demonstrate safe behavior during this pandemic. I wish I could sit with the writer to help him find sources and information about Biden’s more than 40 years of public service and his life. We could ponder what it was like for young Senator Biden when his first wife, Neilia Hunter, and their 1-year-old daughter, Naomi, were killed in an accident, leaving him with hospitalized 2- and 3-year-old sons, Hunter and Beau. We could talk about what he has done and learned during decades as legislator and vice president.

  I could gently correct our neighbor’s statement that the Bidens are a one-income family by reminding him that Jill is a professor of English at Northern Virginia Community College and for her work there she is paid. She also has given speeches and written books.

  My current neighbors beside me in Lynden, across town, throughout the county and in Bellingham are important. I also remember and care about my former neighbors in Jamestown, ND; Manhattan NYC, NY; New Brunswick and Somerville, NJ; Pella, IA; and Albuquerque, NM. They are all part of this great country that we love. Their insights, experience, needs and votes also need to count. We are in this together. We have had a fair, free and verified election. Let’s work toward knowing each other and working to solve our all-too-evident problems. 

— Alyce Werkema, Lynden

Time to mend, repair and love

  Thank you, Lynden Tribune, Gary Meader and Gerald Hulbert  for informing citizens so eloquently on pages A4 and A5 of the Jan. 6 Tribune. Had the President ordered the testing and manufacturing of scientifically approved COVID-19 masks and required their use as expeditiously as he ordered Operation Warpspeed for vaccines, we would not currently be matching the death toll of the historic Bataan Death March and our own 9/11 tragedy every day.

  As we approach these grim markers, perhaps we should acknowledge that decisions based on ego rather than science have left this county bereft and torn.  

  It is time to mend, repair and love all we have lost, moving forward peaceably and with clear eyes and hearts.

— Donna Starr, Blaine

On Cedarbrook

  The Cedarbrook developers have resumed the process of modifying the RS-100 zone designation for the property at the dead end of Cedar Drive.

  The developer claims the project complies with existing zone designation. However, the density proposed requires modifying the RS-100 designation.

  This is the third time that neighbors have had to defend the existing zone designation. In order to do so, the neighbors have had to obtain and pay for legal resources.

  The developer, however, appears to be receiving free legal services from city Planning Commission lawyers, to change the existing zoning. The Planning Commission refers to the developers’ free legal services as “due process.”

  Free due-process is being provided to the developer, who is attempting to change existing zoning, but no due-process resources or funds are granted to the neighbors who want to retain existing zone designation and want the project to comply with the existing standard RS-100.

  If due-process legal resources are provided for the developer, it would only be fair for the city to reimburse the neighbors for legal costs already incurred as well as future legal expenses. Due-process should apply equally.

  All of these “due process” legal costs could be avoided if the property was developed under the existing RS-100 without modification. 

  Letters were sent regarding this issue to the mayor, who forwarded them to the city administrator. On Jan. 4, 2021 the city administrator responded, “there are no due-process funds available for the purpose you describe.” On Jan. 5 the administrator again responded, “no due-process funds available for the purpose you describe and I don’t have anything further to add.” (“Purpose described” is equal funding for legal expenses incurred by neighbors who want to retain the existing zone designation.)

  It appears the city is suppressing constructive dialogue. This fosters adversarial relationships among the residents, city and developer. We do not believe that this kind of discord is desirable or healthy for our city. We also believe that funds the city and residents are spending on legal resources could be spent much more wisely.    

  It is our hope the city will afford equitable due-process for residents who want to retain the existing RS-100 zone designation.   

  Again, this conflict and associated legal costs could be avoided if the property is developed under the existing RS-100 zoning without modification.

— Marty and Nancy Gering, Lynden

Finishing well

  After so many good accomplishments at home and  abroad for four years, Mr. President, it is not easy to come to a good conclusion in our  present  situations.

  We sadly regret the chaos and casualties after the rally. We had hoped that you would call for unity under God Almighty. You mentioned hell repeatedly. Nothing about “In God We Trust.” And we should have sung the national anthem.

  What about making the best of it before God and our nation in your swan song? What about attending the inaugural for Biden? “One Nation under God.” We pray for you and your family a lot, and unity for our nation.

John Van Hemert, Lynden

Don’t be fooled

  Most of our politicians are one taco short of a combo plate. As a senior citizen, Christmas comes faster than I can put away decorations, then turn around to put them back up again. Thank God for our existence, all preserved by the lives of USA servicemen and the sweat of America.

  So many do not understand that the money tree does not exist. A depression will solve the differences of race, religion and politics. In the end we will realize we are one. Because many Americans are staying home and not eating out or vacationing, they have amassed personal wealth and are buying into the stock market on a high. Be careful. Reality is not far away. Put your extra money in your mattress.

The X Y Z generations have lost sight of reality, struggle and fear by having been coddled. It doesn’t take an economist to understand Biden’s proclamation relieving students of college debts. Who will take the hit for this? Will the taxpayers have to pay colleges for their loss or will they proclaim it is as their mistake? These new students are asking for a free ride and are not responsible for themselves and learning nothing.

  The Chinese love Biden because he’ll let all the Chinese stuff come in without tariffs and all our American will go off shore as a tax break. Donald Trump put the brakes on this, but here we are now.

— Darryl Ehlers, Lynden

Dairy Women hiring

  Do you love ice cream? Do you love the fair and Moowiches? Do you love extra cash?

  As a Whatcom County Dairy Women member, I am excited to share an incredible employment opportunity. Our community organization seeks to hire a manager for our booths at the 2021 Northwest Washington Fair. This position is responsible for successfully planning, managing, scheduling and operating the two booths. Our fast-paced environment is centered on the fun of the fair. If you love to organize, work with people, learn new skills and plan events, this might be the job for you.

  Whatcom County Dairy Women is a nonprofit dedicated to promoting dairy products and dairy farming in the county. Our programs include the Whatcom County Dairy Ambassador Program and annual collegiate scholarships. We support the Whatcom Farm Circle, Washington Ag in the Classroom and the new Ag Pavilion at the fair.

  Check us out on Facebook to see the full job posting. If interested, please email wcdairywomen@gmail.com by Jan. 18 at 6:30 p.m. We offer a competitive stipend based upon experience. With any questions, call me at 360-354-1194.

— Debbie VanderVeen, Everson