Supports Warren

  On March 10 we the voters of Washington State get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. With our vote we get to potentially change the course of history and select the next President of the United States — and I am proud to cast my vote for Elizabeth Warren.

  Of all the many choices this year, she is by far the most qualified, the most compelling and the most effective. She knows that our economy has been rigged by the wealthy and powerful and knows exactly how to fix it so everyone can have a fair shot at a good life. Whether it is her comprehensive plan for disabilities, her universal childcare program or her plan to inject billions of dollars into our small cities’ infrastructure projects, she has done the homework and is ready on day one. Warren’s ideas are sound, her voice is strong and I know that she will never stop fighting for us.

  Ballots arrive in the next few weeks and it is time for Washington to weigh in. Please join me in voting for Elizabeth Warren for President and together we can work toward a future that will make us and our children proud. 

— Bryna Sweeney, Lynden

Thanking visiting pastor

  I would like to thank the visiting pastor who officiated the Celebration of Life for Charrice Dotinga  at First Reformed Church last week.

  When I moved to town many years ago, Charrice was my neighbor and my first local friend. She was quick to invite me along to many barbecues and social gatherings. She was young, beautiful and vibrant. Her sudden passing took us all off-guard.

  Surely, this was a difficult service to lead. The pastor was sincere and genuine. To a packed church, he presented the gospel in a gentle way that stayed true to the Bible and was not overbearing. He knew Charrice personally and it was evident in his words. It made a difference and it helped those of us sitting in the pews trying to process this sudden loss of someone so young. My sincere condolences to her family. 

  Suffering the loss of a loved one causes grief and I have learned that grief can reveal itself in various ways, and it is different for everyone. Grief doesn’t really go away, but we can learn how to better cope with it over time.

  If a person is grieving a recent or not-so-recent loss, I highly recommend attending GriefShare. It’s a course that helps guide you through the grief process and offers you support. Simply go to www.griefshare.org and enter your zip code for a list of local locations where you can attend this free group (if you prefer anonymity, there are locations just over the border in British Columbia). There is no right or wrong way to grieve and it sure helps being surrounded by others who care and understand.

— Joey Campbell, Lynden

From Nikki Haley

  During the past few weeks of discussions over impeachment issues, transcripts and due process, I was reminded by Nikki Haley, our former ambassador to the United Nations, of who I am as an American. I quote from her recent bestseller book and a great read, “In All Due Respect” (2019, St. Martin Press) regarding her experience in the Trump cabinet.

  “It wasn’t even a question of how they (the cabinet) felt about the President; some were more on board with his agenda than others. It was a question of following and honoring the Constitution. ... The person who serves as president is the choice of the people, and that means honoring the office of the president. ... It is not to plot and scheme behind the President’s back.” (p. 233)

  She continues with, “When my colleagues actively worked to defy the President — and then bragged about it in public, they broke their trust with the public. They decided they were the best judges of who should lead the country, not the people (and) they encouraged their adversaries overseas to exploit the instability they created.” (p 234) 

  Haley also speaks to all of us regarding common values. “We need to remind each other that  we have more in common than we have differences. We need to look at the person who disagrees with us and not see that person as evil, but someone who is a mother, a daughter, a wife, a friend, a professional, and an American.” (p.247)

  Nikki Haley, former South Carolina governor, ambassador and second-generation Indian-American, concludes with “So live your life with grit and grace. Count your blessings. Love your family. And remember, even on your worst days, we are blessed to live in America.” (p. 248)

— Gerald Hulbert, Sumas